East Lancashire Child and Adolescent Service

Return to list of services

Information on this page was last updated on 01/10/2017

ELCAS stands for East Lancashire Child and Adolescent Service. ELCAS is a specialist mental health service for children and young people.  In many areas in the country these services are called CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services).

ELCAS is a service made up of people from different professional backgrounds who have training and skills in working with children, young people and families. We have 3 area teams in ELCAS:

• Burnley and Pendle
• Hyndburn, Rossendale and the Ribble Valley
• Blackburn with Darwen

Our teams help when a young person is experiencing severe, complex and persistent mental health problems/disorders.

There may be concerns such as:
• Depressive disorders
• Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
• Issues related to Autistic Spectrum disorders
• Tourette’s syndrome and complex tic disorders
• Self-harm and suicide attempts
• Eating disorders
• Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
• Phobias and Anxiety Disorders
• Trauma
• Mental health issues associated with physical health problems

Of course, having ADHD or being autistic or being anxious doesn’t mean someone has to come to ELCAS. It’s when these things are persistent, complex, and have a severe impact upon the young person’s daily living and ability to cope, that ELCAS becomes an option.

We deliver specialist assessment, consultation, diagnosis, formulation and treatment in a range of settings, including the ELCAS department, community and locality settings. In certain circumstances we can see people at their home or school.

Referral to our service is through professional referral. We don’t take self-referrals. If you feel as if you need help urgently, please talk to someone; a parent, carer, teacher, school nurse or your GP who can help you straight away.

If you have concerns about your mental health, you feel you are not coping, or your parent/carer has concerns about you, you should make an appointment with your GP to discuss this. Your GP will then advise you if referral to ELCAS or another service is appropriate. We will also accept referrals from schools and other health professionals, but we get the most referrals from GPs. It can feel really scary to admit that you do not feel OK, but the important thing is that if you are worried you should talk to someone and tell them how you feel and what is bothering you. This could be a teacher, school counsellor, health visitor or your parents/carers.

Share this page:

If you spot an error on this page, or have difficulty contacting this organisation please let us know.
Is this your organisation?  contact us to find out how we can help to promote your services and activities.